- Nicole Kidman, Moulin Rouge, 2001. Renée wasn’t svelte enough until 2007. “At one point all of us are up for the same role. But no one should have been on that swing but Nic.” They later co-starred in Cold Mountain, 2003.
- Drew Barrymore, Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind, 2002. Gwyneth Paltrow was also considered by a neophyte director, name of ... George Clooney.
- Jennifer Garner, 13 Going On 30, 2003. Suddenly, Gwyneth Paltrow, Hilary Swank and Renée had to deal with a fresh rival for the 13-year-old in a 30-year-old body. Garner was then better known as action-spy Sydney Bristow in Alias, TV, 2001-05.
- Nicole Kidman, Bewitched, 2004. Who wants to play wriggly-nosed Samantha? Me, me, chorused... Jennifer Aniston, , Kim Basinger, Cameron Diaz, Heather Graham (who would have been quirkily great), Angelina Jolie, Lixas Kudrow (perfect!), Tatum O'Neal (not so much), Gwyneth Paltrow, Michelle Pfeiffer, Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan, Alicia Silverstone, Hilary Swank, Naomi Watts. Among 35 possibles. Over the years.
- Jessica Alba, The Eye, 2007. First up for Sydney Welles in the re-make of the Jian Gui by Hong Kong’s Pang brothers’ 2002 hit.
- Katherine Heigl, Knocked Up, 2007.
- Penelope Cruz, Nine, 2009.
- Juliette Lewis, August: Osage County, 2012. Karen was aimed at Zellweger or Andrea Riseborough. The Brit won but her agenda didn’t agree. Likewise, Renee’s and Juliette joined the star-packed account of the Weston brood: Chris Cooper, Benedict Cumberbatch, Ewan McGregor, Julia Roberts, Sam Shepard, Meryl Streep.