- Cole Hauser, Dazed and Confused, 1993. Replaced by writer-director Richard Linklater because Vince looked too much like co-star Ben Affleck. (Not anymore). The film remains a rarity as “man” is said more often than “fuck” - 203 to 59 times.
- Matthew Perry, Friends, TV, 1994-2004. Among those short-listed for Chandler Bing was a future lover of the series’ breakout star, Jennifer Anniston (August 2005-November 2006),
- Matt Dillon, There’s Something About Mary, 1998. Cuba Gooding Jr and Bill Murray were also considered for the sleazy private dick hired to locate Cameron Diaz - then trying to make her his own.
- Matt Damon, The Talented Mr Ripley, 1998. The newest hot UK scenarist-director Anthony Minghella, hot off The English Patient, checked all the new young turks.. for his Plein soleil re-make.
- Ben Affleck, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, 2001. For a laugh, New Jersey auteur Kevin Smith asked Vaughn and Jon Favreau to send-up Good Will Hunting - until he got the real stars to do it: Affleck and Matt Damon. (It was Smith who showed their Hunting script to Miramax).
- Jake Gyllenhaal, Donnie Darko, 2001. “Thanks, but hey I’m no teenager anymore!”
- Val Kilmer, Wonderland, 2003. Kilmer was amazing as John Holmes said the porno legend’s lover Dawn Schiller. “To bring back the essence, or the psyche, as Sharon (Holmes) would call it, of a man long gone... it’s pretty scary.”
- Cole Hauser, Paparazzi, 2004. Eleven years on and Hauser is still pinch-hitting for Vaughn. Vince supplied a a guest cameo. So did the producer: Mel Gibson.
- Owen Wilson, Starsky and Hutch, 2004. In the end, Vaughn was too, er, heavy for a hero, so he made a great villain.
- Freddy Rodriguez, Lady in the Water, 2005. Among the dream wishes of director M Night Shyamalan for what began as a bedtime story for his two daughters. Shoulda stayed there!
- Seth Rogen, The Green Hornet, 2010. French realsiateur Michel Gondry was signed for the Universal version in 1997 - with a green Vaughn. Next Hornet choices included George Clooney, Jake Gyllenhaal, Greg Kinnear, Mark Wahlberg...
- Colin Farrell, Horrible Bosses, 2010. A bald Farrell was almost unrecognisable as the terrible boss - taking over his father Donald Sutherland’s company and making life hell for Jason Sudeikis, in this male take on Nine To Five.
- Tom Cruise, Jack Reacher, 2012. When it came to UK writer Lee Child’s tough cop, Jamie Foxx, Hugh Jackman, Brad Pitt, Will Smith, also had One Shot -original title of the book… and film….about a kind of Sherlock homeless.
- Bradley Cooper, The Silver Linings Playbook, 2012. “If you really want to go back and do an archeological dig,” laughed director David O Russell, “I wrote it for Vince Vaughn. And Zooey Deschanel.” As per usual, Russell’s first choice had been Mafk Mahlberg.